The 1950’s

Previous

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction started life as a quarterly magazine titled The Magazine of Fantasy, published in October 1949, and switched to the current title with its second issue, shifted to a bimonthly scheduled with its fifth issue and a monthly schedule with its 15th issue, which it then maintained for 38 years before dropping back to 11 issues a year in 1991, a schedule that it maintained until 2008. In April/May 2009 the frequency dropped to bi-monthly.

The first few issues mostly featured cover art by George Salter, Mercury Press's art director, but other artists soon began to appear, including Chesley Bonestell, Kelly Freas, and Ed Emshwiller.











1950

   

1951

     

1952

       

1953

           

1954

           

1955

           

1956

           

1957

           

1958

           

1959

           

Doubles: